Spousal, common-law and conjugal sponsorship to Canada

Bring your spouse or partner to Canada

If you are a Canadian citizen of a Permanent Resident of Canada who is 18 years and older, you can sponsor your spouse, common-law partner or conjugal partner to Canada. As a sponsor (and co-sponsor if applicable), you must meet certain eligibility requirements (previous sponsorship agreements, criminal background, financial admissibility etc.). The processing time of the application will vary depending on the visa office that is assessing the application as well as the completeness of the application submitted.

In order to ensure that applications are processed efficiently, forms and supporting documentation must be adequately prepared. Missing information can cause long delays or even the refusal of your application. You can submit an application to sponsor your spouse, common-law partner or conjugal partner to Canada. In order to be considered common law partners, you and your partner must have been living together continuously for a period of at least one (1) year. In order to ensure that your application is approved, you must be in a genuine, long-term and permanent relationship with your partner. Supporting documentation should be submitted in order to demonstrate the genuineness of the relationship along with details of the progression of your relationship and your future plans as a couple.

Inland and Overseas Spousal Sponsorship

There are two types of spousal applications: inland and overseas. Depending on your personal situation, you will need to determine which application works best for your couple. Do not hesitate to reach out to us if you have any question.

Same sex/gay couple spousal sponsorship

You can sponsor your same-sex partner for permanent residence in Canada, as a spouse, common law partner or conjugal partner. We offer a safe space to discuss details of your relationship and can assist you to put forward the best application possible.

Spousal sponsorship refusal, should you appeal or apply again?

Not all refusals of spousal or common-law sponsorship applications should be appealed – it is important to have a refusal decision reviewed by an immigration expert as re-applying is sometimes the better legal choice. Let us help you decide the best strategy for your situation.


page 1 of 3