The Canadian Experience Class is designed to allow foreign students and workers with at least one year of work experience in Canada to apply for permanent residence. Currently, all applicants under CEC must go through the Express Entry System, which means that in addition to qualifying under the CEC, you must also score sufficient points under the Express Entry Comprehensive Ranking System to receive an Invitation to Apply. Further details on this process can be found under Express Entry.

In order to qualify, you must:

• Have at least twelve months of full-time work experience (at least 30 hours per week) or equivalent (for example, 24 months of part-time experience of at least 15 hours per week) during the three years immediately preceding your application.

• Your work experience must have been in a NOC 0, A or B occupation (management, professional or vocational/trade);

• Meet the minimum English or French language requirements for your NOC (Canadian Language Benchmark or CLB 7 for NOC 0 or A, or CLB 5 for NOC B);

Although there is no specific educational requirement under CEC, there is one under Express Entry if you need points for education. To obtain EE points, you will need to have graduated from a Canadian secondary or post-secondary institution, or have completed a foreign credential (degree or diploma) which has been assessed by an approved agency and granted an Educational Credential Assessment (ECA) which states that it is equivalent to a Canadian secondary diploma or greater.

The Canadian Experience Class can be very useful, however, it is essential to obtain proper advice and guidance as to whether you will receive an Invitation to Apply and be granted permanent residence status. We can advise you regarding your options.