Temporary Resident Permit/Denied Entry

If you have been denied temporary entry to Canada, through a visa office abroad or at a Canadian border or airport, you may be eligible for a Temporary Resident Permit (TRP).

Foreign nationals who have committed a crime or have been charged or convicted of a crime may also require a TRP to enter Canada. This includes individuals who have committed an offence of driving under the influence (DUI) for example.

If you were found inadmissible, you must have a compelling reason to enter Canada. Compelling reasons may include, but are not limited to:

  • entry for business, trade or investment purposes;
  • entry to see family members who are ill;
  • entry for emergency purposes; or
  • entry for leisure purposes, in some circumstances.

When applying to a TRP, you must demonstrate to Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC) that you are unlikely to pose a threat or risk to Canadian society. All applications are decided by visa officers on a discretionary basis and it is important to submit a strong TRP application with relevant supporting documents.

There are different ways to submit a TRP application and you should consult with an immigration lawyer before submitting your application.

Here are our useful blogs about Temporary Resident Permit – Denied Entry To Canada