In Spousal/Common Law Sponsorship
Nancy Elliott
Follow me

Spousal sponsorship abandonment: How to deal with it.

I came to Canada as a sponsored spouse last year. Last month, my husband abandoned me, after a very difficult period of terrible arguments and finally violence. I am afraid that he will have me deported from Canada, and I am worried because my visa is conditional on us cohabiting for two years.

What should I do?

You should seek proper legal advice right away. Although the law now requires sponsored spouses to cohabit for a minimum of two years, it also contemplates situations where cohabitation is no longer possible, in particular in situations of domestic violence. You should ensure that you have all police or medical records if there are any, and be prepared to answer questions from immigration officers. Your lawyer will be able to prepare you properly, and relieve some of the stress you must be experiencing.