In Spousal/Common Law Sponsorship
Nancy Elliott
Follow me

How to address criminal inadmissibility in Canada from the US

Yes, you can submit an application to sponsor your husband to Canada. You will need to demonstrate that you are in a permanent and committed relationship. With respect to the criminal charge, depending on when the offense was committed as well as the sentence received, the spousal application might also require a special request to overcome a possible criminal inadmissibility in Canada. Foreign nationals who have a criminal record cannot become permanent residents of Canada unless they are criminally rehabilitated. Criminal rehabilitation can occur with the passing of time or by applying for it, depending on the case. In order to determine the type of criminal inadmissibility and before submitting the spousal sponsorship, you must disclose this information to your immigration lawyer and obtain proper legal advice.