If you are a Canadian citizen of a Permanent Resident of Canada who is 18 years and older, you can sponsor certain family members to Canada. As a sponsor (and co-sponsor if applicable), you must meet certain eligibility requirements (previous sponsorship agreements, criminal background, financial admissibility etc.). The processing time of the application will vary depending on the visa office that is assessing the application as well as the completeness of the application submitted.

In order to ensure that applications are processed efficiently, forms and supporting documentation must be adequately prepared. Missing information can cause long delays or even the refusal of your application.

Spousal Sponsorship

You can submit an application to sponsor your spouse, common-law partner or conjugal partner to Canada. In order to be considered common law partners, you and your partner must have been living together continuously for a period of at least one (1) year.

In order to ensure that your application is approved, you must be in a genuine, long-term and permanent relationship with your partner. Supporting documentation should be submitted in order to demonstrate the genuineness of the relationship along with details of the progression of your relationship and your future plans as a couple.

There are 2 types of spousal applications: inland and overseas. Depending on your personal situation, you will need to determine which application works best for your couple.

Child Sponsorship

As a Canadian or Permanent Resident of Canada, you can also sponsor your child or adopted child to Canada.

Parents and Grandparents Sponsorship

Parents and grandparents can be sponsored to Canada. Sponsors will need to meet the income requirement for parental sponsorship set out by Citizenship and Immigration Canada matching your family size.

Sponsor Other Relatives

If you wish to sponsor other relatives to Canada, you may be eligible to do so depending on your personal circumstances in Canada and your relative’s situation in her/his country of citizenship.