I Am Afraid To Leave My Abusive Spouse As He Sponsored Me To Canada, What Can I Do?

Nancy Elliott
Follow me

What you should do if your under spousal abuse and spousal sponsorship in Canada

I was sponsored by a Canadian citizen as his spouse, and we have been living together for three years. Lately, we have had financial difficulties and we have been quarreling Last month, he came home drunk and physically assaulted me. He apologized but then he did it again a week ago. I want to leave him as I am afraid and do not know what to do. I am afraid I will lose my immigration status as I am not a citizen yet. What should I do?
You should seek help immediately and look for assistance to leave the home if that is what you have decided to do. You can first call the Assaulted Women’s Helpline at 416.863.0511, or 1.866.863.0511 if you are outside of the Toronto area. If he ever assaults you again, call the police at 9-1-1 and press charges. Although you were sponsored to come to Canada, this does not mean that you must stay in a violent relationship. As a permanent resident, you have your own status and are free to leave. It would be a good idea to document your situation by seeking medical help and documents, as well as police reports, if available. I also recommend that you seek specific advice regarding your status to discuss various legal issues, including immigration, family, and criminal matters. Remember that your safety, and the safety of any children in the household, should be your first priority.

Share :
Nancy Myles Elliott is a business person and lawyer, focusing on solutions for individuals and companies seeking to invest or relocate in Canada. Ms. Elliott leads her own law firm, focusing on immigration and citizenship law, as well as advising on corporate legal matters relevant to new immigrants.
View Website
Related Posts